Saturday, July 19, 2008

Sunday Morning in Plains, GA


We had the honor and the privilege of meeting and spending some time with Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter. This is now and always will be a highmark moment in our life. By way of explanation as to how Anna, my partner, and I were able to have this good fortune, my brother is the president at Georgia Southwestern University in Americus, Georgia. In that position he has come to know and work with the Carters. The Rosalynn Carter Institute for Caregivers is located on the campus of Georgia Southwestern. And the Carters value the school. So it was a family affair a few weeks ago when we visited my brother, Kendall and his wife, Connie. All of us went to Sunday school and worship at Maranatha Baptist Church in Plains. President Carter teaches the adult Bible class during Sunday school. He is an excellent teacher. He is one of those teachers who cares deeply about the subject he's teaching. As a student I felt safe in his class, the way you feel when the teacher is both intelligent and gifted at teaching. President Carter has studied the Bible for so long and well that he feels right at home with the material. He has a genuine desire to make the Bible accessible to the student. He's interesting and makes the lesson relevant. I was so proud when he invited me to pray as the class began. Gave me a chance to share my own gift.

I admire Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter. They are authentic and principled people. I appreciate the ways that they have used their faith and their power to make the world a better place.


We ate lunch with them at Mama's Kitchen in Plains. They are easy to be with, like good neighbors. There is nothing ostentatious about the Carters. Both Jimmy and Rosalynn had buttermilk to drink with their turnip greens, fried okra, sliced tomatoes and cornbread. They admire the woman who owns and operates Mama's Kitchen. Jimmy introduced us to her before we left the restaurant. She was snapping beans in the front room. It was clear that the Carters have enjoyed a long and mutual relationship with this successful business woman. Real people among real people.
The picture was made after dinner and outside Mama's Kitchen. Left to Right: Kendall Blanchard, Rosalynn Carter, Anna Neal, Elaine Blanchard and Connie Blanchard.
I'm grateful to my brother and his wife for making this happen. And I'm grateful to the Carters for sharing their time and wonderful spirits with us. It's reassuring to meet them. Meeting them created a notalgia in my heart for the days when I still trusted the people in politics and power.


No comments: