Monday, September 29, 2008

I Won!

My story, "Traps," has won Honorable Mention in the Memphis Magazine Fiction Competition!

For many years I have hungered to have my writing recognized in Memphis. I live in a city and a region where I am surrounded by creative writing talent. Chief among my desires has been the longing to be recognized as a winner in the Memphis Magazine Annual Fiction Competition. Toward that goal I have submitted four short stories over the years and twice aborted work on a piece of short fiction. Some stories just cannot get their clothes on and their hair combed in time for the deadline.

This past year I was more intentional about reading quality fiction, paying attention to style, syntax, tone, point of view and character development. I attended the Iowa Writer's Conference at the University of Iowa where I received pointed instruction on writing fiction. I also made a decision, one year ago, to begin thinking of myself as a writer. A woman, a mother, a partner, a friend. Sometimes a gardener and many times a dreamer. But most of all I have rounded a corner to a place where I see myself writing. There are so many stories to be written.

I am deeply honored by this recognition. The $500.00 prize will be a pleasure to receive. But most of all I am basking in the affirmation. My creative work matters. I am hugging myself with joy!

No comments: